You take one pill of Paracetamol and everything is good, right? You are feeling better, your headache has gone, and you are ready to go outside that day. But what if you took more than the recommended dosage?
Paracetamol is a common medicine found in many households. It is effective in treating pain and reducing fever and is often one of the first medications recommended for relief. But like all medications, it is important to take paracetamol safely and according to the instructions on the label.
In this article, we will explore what happens when you overdose on paracetamol. We will talk about the signs and symptoms of an overdose, what to do if you or someone you know has overdosed on paracetamol, and how to prevent an overdose from happening in the first place.
Effects of Paracetamol on the Body
Taking too much paracetamol can have serious consequences on your health.
Some of the most common side effects of an overdose include nausea, vomiting, and excessive sweating. But that is just the beginning. Paracetamol can also damage your liver, and in some cases, it can be fatal.
If you think you may have overdosed on paracetamol, seek medical help immediately.
Negative Effects of Paracetamol Overdose
Taking too much paracetamol can have some serious negative effects on your health.
You might experience nausea, vomiting, and diarrhoea in the short term. You could also suffer from a coma or even death.
In the long term, overdosing on paracetamol can cause liver damage and even liver failure. It can also damage your kidneys, and lead to high blood pressure and heart problems.
What Are the Symptoms of Paracetamol Overdose?
If you take too much paracetamol, you will likely experience some nasty symptoms. These can include nausea, vomiting, sweating, and dizziness. If you are feeling lightheaded or have blurred vision, it is time to seek urgent medical help.
Other signs that you might be experiencing an overdose include a fast or irregular heartbeat, difficulty breathing, and extreme tiredness. In the most serious cases, liver damage and even death can occur. So it’s really important to be aware of the symptoms and to seek medical help if you think you might have taken too much paracetamol.
The Dangers of Using Too Much Paracetamol
Overdosing on paracetamol is extremely dangerous and can lead to liver damage, kidney failure, and death. When taken in large doses, paracetamol can cause your liver to release too much of a protein called glutathione. Glutathione helps your liver detoxify your blood, but when there is too much of it, it can cause damage to your liver cells.
In extreme cases, an overdose of paracetamol can lead to liver failure and death. Paracetamol is the leading cause of acute liver failure in the US. So, it is important to be very careful when taking this medication and not to exceed the recommended dosage.
The Impact on Organs When Overdosing on Paracetamol
When you overdose on paracetamol, your liver takes the brunt of the damage. Paracetamol is processed in the liver and it is here that the toxic metabolites are produced.
These metabolites can cause liver cell death and they can also lead to liver inflammation. In severe cases, this can lead to liver failure.
Other organs can also be affected by an overdose of paracetamol. The kidneys can be damaged, and in severe cases, this can lead to kidney failure. Paracetamol can also cause gastric ulcers and gastrointestinal bleeding.
How to Seek Help if You Have Overdosed on Paracetamol
If you have overdosed on paracetamol, it is important to seek medical help immediately. If you think you or someone else may have taken too much paracetamol, call your local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.
If the person is unconscious or has seizures, call 911. Symptoms of a paracetamol overdose include:
– Liver damage
– Kidney damage
– Low blood sugar
So, if you do happen to overdose on paracetamol, it is important to seek medical help as soon as possible. Depending on how much paracetamol you have taken, the doctor may give you medication to help flush the paracetamol out of your system, or they may just monitor you until the paracetamol wears off.
Overdosing on paracetamol is not something you want to do, as it can result in some nasty side effects. Hopefully, this article has given you a better understanding of what happens when you overdose on paracetamol, and why it is important to be careful when taking this medication.
You know paracetamol is a pain killer and renowned remedy for normal headache and fever. But if you take it more than prescription it harms many organs of your body. If you take 12 paracetamols at once, it will surely have impact on your kidney and liver. You should never do this as it will have fatal results.
You should always take any pills as per doctor’s recommendations but if you take more than 5 pills a day, you can face harmful effects on your internal organs like lever, kidney, and heart.